Mar 24, 2012

Old Burial Hill

We had a few exceptional days of weather this week. Sunny and 70s are things you don't normally associate with March around here. So what did I do? Spend a couple hours in a cemetery taking photos!
This particular location is in Marblehead, MA in a place you wouldn't stumble into if you were driving around town. It has an interesting topography being atop a hill. You can see large rocks poking through the grass all over. Or maybe it's just one giant rock that makes the hill, who knows?
I'd give you the nickle tour through my photos but I took quite a few and it would take me a couple hours, at least, to narrate the whole shebang. If you want to see more head over to my Flickr gallery and check them out. And if you have the time, view the headstones in the largest size so you can read them. There's some interesting and beautiful things written on them.

6 comments:

  1. There really is a very peaceful feeling at times with burial places but other times it can just be a creepy thing. I guess that is there appeal and these are some wonderful pictures too you took.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I usually find it relaxing. I got a tiny tingle of creepy when I came across the well in a couple of the photos because all that came to mind was The Ring. Fortunately it's long been filled in and just has some flowers planted in it.

      Delete
  2. Those are so excellent! I love old cemeteries & that one is just... WOW! I never saw a skull & crossbones on a real stone before.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to a few cemeteries around here. Being in MA they all have their older graves but this place seemed to be nothing but old and most were older that what I've seen before.
      I love that skull headstone, by far my favorite there.

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's a seriously old cemetery! The oldest cemeteries in my state (with stones) would be from the 1800s. I'm sure there are earlier Native American burial grounds I don't know about. Anyway, we don't have any stones with skulls in this style around here. I loved the skulls, they looked like they were designed by Edward Gorey! It seems weird to put a skull and crossbones over a loved one's grave, instead of say, an angel. I guess that was the style back then! Wonderful job with the photos. Reading some of those stones made me wonder about the circumstances of these people's deaths. Do you personally know anything about anyone buried there? As far as stories, family, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anything about them, I just go and take photos =) Although that skull one (and there were maybe 2 more like it there) bears the same name as the street it's located on, Orne. Google tells me they are one of the founding families of Marblehead.

      Delete